Welcome to the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy: Hawaii Division (a state division of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy).
Marriage and Family Therapists (commonly referred to as MFTs or family therapists) are training and licensed to independently diagnose and treat mental health and relationship problems. Family therapists focus on understanding their clients symptoms and interaction patterns within their existing environment.
Commonly treated problems
- depression and other common mood disorders
- adolescent high risk behaviors
- substance abuse and alcholism
- childhood behavioral and emotional disorders
- couple communication problems
- eating disorders
- suicidal ideation and behaviors
- sexual dysfunction including erectile dysfunction
If you are seeking the services of a highly qualified marriage and family therapist please use AAMFT's TherapistLocator.net
AAMFT on Twitter
I AM AN MFT Video
- The 2014 Solution Focused Expo: Orlando, FL - The Solution Focused Expo is an event aimed at proving quality training over the course of two and a half days with the best trainers in the world teaching the use of this approach with families, couples and in schools.
For more information, the event agenda and to register visit: http://thesolutionfocusedexpo.
Thank you for your continued support!
- Thanks for attending the 7/27/13 presentation of "Intro to MFT Licensing in Hawaii!" Slides are available in the Members' Corner section of our website. A special thanks to Dr. Timothy Ficklin of Chaminade University of Honolulu for his assistance in acquiring a location for the presentation.
- AAMFT-Hawaii Division's 2012 Annual Conference was a hit!
"Symbolic Experiential Psychotherapy with Couples"
featuring Michael L. Chafin, M.Div, M.Ed, LMFT
2012 AAMFT-HI Conference Flyer
AAMFT frequently has members mentioned in the media/press:
May 1, 2013: The Huffington Post - Understanding Anthony's Anxiety
April 6, 2013: Freestone County Times - Many Topics Covered in Childcare Class
March 12, 2013: The Huffington Post - Are you legally divorced but psychologically married?
February 20, 2013: The Gilmer Mirror - LeTourneau University Psychology Professor Named President of TAMFT
February 13, 2013: The Huffington Post - On Love and Compassion: Lessons From Downton Abbey
February 12, 2013: San Luis Obispo, CA - A Hurtful Affair
February 5, 2013: University of Guelph - Professor Offers Hope to Survivors of Domestic Abuse
January 19, 2013: StarGazatte.com - Therapy Notes and the Courts
December 17, 2012: Newtown, CT - Tips on Talking with your Child about a Major Tragedy
October 17, 2011: WIBW - TV Topeka, KS Senators Roberts, Barasso Introduce Bill to Improve Rural Health Care
October 14, 2011: DoctorsLounge.com - Wanted: Spouse with Car, Stocks, Bonds
October 10, 2011 The Morning Call Lehigh Valley, PA - What should I tell a child worried about divorce?
Topics, Resources, and Updates:
Hawaii Professional Vocation Licensing Division
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
- The Gottman Relationship Blog
- Aha! Parenting Blog
- MFT Exam Podcast by Dr. Linton Hutchinson
- Marital Distress
- Children and Divorce
- Domestic Violence
- Sexual Addiction
- Female Sexual Problems
- Male Sexual Problems
- Hawaii Professional Vocation Licensing Division